Amazon.com

Sunday, October 13, 2013

White chalky cliffs by the turqouise sea

I've always been interested in nature and beautiful scenery. And so, I decided to make a trip down to white chalk cliffs of Møns Klint, south of Copenhagen. However, this is not an easy trip as you will need to take a combination of trains and buses to reach and travel time can easily be 3 -4 hours depending on the bus schedule.

So how do you get to Møns Klint from Copenhagen by public transportation? First, take a train down to Vordingborg. And here comes the tricky part. When you arrive at Vordingborg, take the bus 660R to Stege. Arriving at Stege, there are some cafes and a supermarket where you can stock up on biscuits or water before taking the next bus to Møns Island. When you are ready, hop onto bus bus 667 and you are on your way to the white cliffs.

Bus station at Stege
On the bus journey to Møns Klint, take in all the beautiful scenery and enjoy the ride. I personally like the windmills along the way as it reminds me of some gundam anime I watched. =D

Views along the way to Møns Klint
Windmills along the way to Møns Klint
And finally, you will see the GeoCenter and you know you have arrived at your destination. The center is known as the most modern science center in Northern Europe. Go back 70 millions years and learn about the prehistoric flying and sea creatures that roam the Earth. I did not visit the GeoCenter as my purpose here was to look at the impressive white chalk cliffs.

GeoCenter at Møns Klint
Fossil at the entrance of the GeoCenter
The clouds were pregnant with rain when I arrived and I wasted no time to hit the hiking trails. And rain eventually fell but it did not stop me on my way to see the cliffs and the turquoise sea and I was rewarded with the amazing view. =)

The turquoise sea against the white chalk cliffs at Møns Klint
At some point of the cliff, you can choose to descend the long flight of wooden stairs down to the fossil beach. There can be some difficulties walking along the beach because of the rocks that make it uneven. Along the beach, you find little children trying to find a 70 millions year old fossil of their own.

The rocky fossil beach of Møns Klint
Trying to find some fossil on Møns Klint
The view of the sea here is awesome and I could have sat there looking out to the sea all day.  However, I would need to head back to Copenhagen before it gets dark and that is another 3 - 4 hours. Hence, I picked myself up, said goodbye to the sea and began my long journey back to the lovely Capital of Denmark.
 
The white chalk cliffs of Møns Klint
The white chalk cliffs of Møns Klint

The beautiful sea and sky at The white chalk cliffs of Møns Klint
 If you are into nature, I'm sure you will love the huge blocks of white chalk cliffs. However, the trip here is really very time consuming and you may consider to do this only if you are adventurous enough. ^^



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews